He’s not a man of his word,” Williams said. “He doesn’t keep his commitments, written or oral. I’m just basically saying to Canadians you can’t trust him and he doesn’t have any integrity.”
“Everything (Harper) stands for, I don’t get it,” said Williams. “I just don’t understand how Canadians could put possibly put him back in as head of this country when there are other alternatives.”
Let me be clear: this posting is not a “no” to Conservatives or conservatism. Indeed, traditional Canadian Conservatives have been abandoned by Stephen Harper, their party hijacked by an untrustworthy, damaging, dangerous group.
But don’t take my word for it. A long lineup of Canadian conservatives have come out publicly against Stephen Harper. The quotes above are from Danny Williams, former Conservative premier of Newfoundland and Labrador. Read his full account on the National Post site, a right-leaning newspaper
Closer to home, the former Lawyer from the Prime Minister’s Office, a “lifelong conservative”, felt the necessity to state the following publicly:
”As a lifelong conservative I never thought that would happen. But after what I’ve personally seen and experienced, there was no other choice,”
His full account is here: Former PMO lawyer says Tories have ‘lost the moral authority to govern’
More readings: John Robson: I can’t vote for the Harper Conservatives. I just can’t (also National Post. Also from a lifelong conservative)
- Underspent on helping Veterans by almost $1B.
- Veterans had to take the government to court, and the Harper government fought them.
- Eliminated the Statistics Canada long-form census, so right now we’re flying blind as a country, no knowing where or how to best spend our money or where to develop our social programs. The head of Statistics Canada resigned over this, saying he can’t call himself a professional statistician and accept this as “research”.
- His “tough on crime” laws, put in about four years ago, will actually increase criminality, and have begun to do so. At the time, we had experts from the Texas correctional system come up here and warn us not to put in the same laws that have failed miserably there. It’s been 10 years in Texas and they are working hard to undo the damage. Texas: one of the most right-wing states south of the border.
- Muzzled Canadian scientists so that they can’t talk to the media about their findings
- Members in his party have denied that climate change exists, and Harper has resisted addressing climate change in any meaningful way
- Refused to take any interviews with the media, except during the election. Even then, the questions were limited to 5 per day.
- Mislead Canadians to believe F-35 fighter jet procurement would cost $9 billion, until it was finally revealed they intend to spend $40 billion on F-35 fighter jet – a jet many experts agree is poorly designed and ill suited for Canadian needs.
- Under Harper, Canada dropped out of the top 10 most developed countries in the world.
- Under Harper, Canada was not voted onto the UN Security Council for the first time in our and the UN’s history.
- Harper’s new election law has stripped the right to vote from certain classes of Canadians. Today it’s expats living abroad for more than 5 years, but the slide down that slope has already begun. For starters, I had to use the expression “classes of Canadians” in this sentence.
- Harper’s ethics committee representative is now in jail for cheating during his election campaign.
- The Harper government was frequently found, after the fact, to have violated election law after election law. They have paid fines, some are in jail, others have resigned.
- Harper confirmed that the Conservative government will not fund overseas projects that allow war rape victims and child brides to obtain an abortion.
- Harper’s income splitting plan will only benefit 15% of Canadians – most of whom are wealthy – and will cost the government $2.4 billion dollars
- Callers on behalf of the federal Conservative Party were instructed in the days before last year’s election to read scripts telling voters that Elections Canada had changed their voting locations when this was actually untrue.
- Harper closed BC’s emergency oil-spill response centre in Vancouver at a time when BC faces the prospect of two oil pipelines and increased tanker traffic
- Harper claims to be a good financial steward, but he ran
- The largest single deficit in Canadian history
- Nine straight deficits for every single year he was in office
- Even the budget that he claims to have balanced, turned out to be a clever fabrication.
- Spent $1.1B for G8/G20 security for three days. “The most expensive 72 hours in Canadian history?”.
- Security costs at previous summits:
- G8 summit Japan, October 2008: $381 million
- G8 summit Gleneagles, Scotland, July 2005: $110 million
- G20 summit London, April 2009: $30 million
- G20 summit Pittsburgh, September 2009: $18 million US
And on and on and on.
- Bill C-24, for the first time ever, allows the government to strip a citizen of their Canadian citizenship.
- See, it just continues and continues…